Wood Walls and Drywall
Identifying the Odor
Black mold with or without fuzzy growth, along dry wall seams, on the bottom half of wall in the basement.
- Loose seams? Mold could have started behind the dry wall and growing out into the room.
- Had water damage inside the room and soaked the dry wall with a wicking process?
- In all cases the moldy drywall needs to be removed or cleaned with a liquid, preferably a mold and mildew inhibitor. Mold and Mildew inhibitors can be purchased online or by calling your local Disaster Restoration Cleaning company. Spraying the inhibitor directly on the surface where the mold was previously visible is a guarantee in eliminating the left over dangerous spores.
- If a Mold and Mildew inhibitor can not be purchased then the following home remedy (which is not guaranteed) may help. Mix up a desired amount of 40% bleach 60% water into a spray bottle or weed sprayer depending on the area needing treatment.
- Do not dry scrub since the contaminated toxic spores will float in the air, and enter your ventilation system. This could possibly contaminate your entire home/building in the near future.
- A high output ozone generator should be used to kill any spores that might have become air-born and entered into the return air of the ventilation system. Those spores once in one room might settle in another part of the structure causing problems to continue.
- The pictures above show the high concentration of ozone being injected behind the base board. This way the ozone, because it is heavier than air, will build up to the top of the cavity, killing all mold spores that could possible begin growing mold at some point. This precautionary process is a safe method of preventing mold growth in the future.
- Warning: At these high levels human, plant, animal, or any living thing should be removed for health purposes. Call for suggested products before Deodorizing with Ozone.
Last Updated: July 29, 2014
The above information is from http://www.OzoneSolutions.com and is copyrighted by Ozone Solutions Inc.