Identifying the Odor
Do you have a Musty, Moldy Odor problem due to a water damage incident at one time?
- Did you clean up & dry up the water soon after the occurrence?
- Did you have any leaky pipes, winter snow or hard rain that let in water and ran down the wall?
- Is there any visible growth of mold?
- Is the mold on the bottom quarter of the wall?
- When you got rid of the mold. Is there still a musty odor?
- What colors are the mold?
- Was there a stack of boxes against the concrete walls, corner of the basement etc...?
- Is there cracks in the concrete block walls?
Ozone is a way to totally eliminate musty odors if the Source is gone first.
- Remove all visible mold by using a liquid mixture of 40% Bleach/Chlorine to 60% warm water.
- Once the walls are clean use dehumidifiers to drop humidity levels to a range of 30 to 45 percent-lower is better.
- Once these levels are reached, ozonate the room for up to 24 hrs. Rent or purchase an ozone generator that is adequate to the square feet of the structure. Call Ozone Solutions for their advice on what model might be needed to accomplish the job. Deodorizing and killing the contaminated spores that might be air-born or traveling in the ventilation system is very important.
- Seal the concrete block walls with a mold and mildew resistant masonry paint/sealer.
- To be safe purchase a mold and mildew inhibitor from a cleaning supply co., locally or online. Call us for those detailed contacts and trust worthy products.
- Make sure the wooden rafters or wooden sills are mold free and dry. Once the wood is totally dry the mold and mildew paint sealer for wood may be applied.
- Ozone is the best answer for deodorizing and killing contaminated spores.
Last Updated: July 29, 2014
The above information is from http://www.OzoneSolutions.com and is copyrighted by Ozone Solutions Inc.